Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Guest Writer: Story From a First Time Thrift Shopper

Today I'll be handing the reigns over to a friend of mine to give you guys a post about what thrift shopping is like for someone who has never gone before.  You're in the for a treat!  She also takes way better pictures than me.

---


Hi there! This post is going to a bit different, because I’m not Erin. My name is Allison and I’ll be doing a guest post this week. If you would like to read more of what I have to say, check out my blog full of college advice at http://adviceforthealmostadult.blogspot.com.

I have almost no experience with thrift stores; I’ve always been a bit weary of them because I thought they were all disorganized, smelly, and full of ugly clothes. It probably comes as no surprise to you thrift store savvy folks that the thrift store I went to was actually quite nice.

I decided to go to the Delta Humane Society Thrift and Gift Boutique because I wanted to support their cause. This post will be about my experience exploring the store as a novice, but Erin has already written a very informative review of this store, which you can find here http://2nd-hand-stories.blogspot.com/2013/03/thrift-store-review-delta-humane.html.





 Walking into the store I was pleasantly surprised that it did not smell like a musty old closet. It was bright, clean, and well organized. A staff member approached me to let me know that they were having an Easter sale and that all books were 50% off. Being an English major, this excited me a great deal, but I decided to leave the books for last. I was on a mission after all.



My goal for the day was to buy the ugliest men’s button down shirt I could find. Since I only need it for a costume party, I didn’t want to spend very much money. So paying full-price at a regular store was out of the question. In the future, however, I would definitely consider heading into a thrift store to look
for something I actually want to wear.



                  The first thing that caught my attention in the store was a small collection of seemingly handmade bracelets with the phrase “opt to adopt”. They cost $5 with all proceeds going to the Delta Humane Society. I was tempted, but decided to keep walking (if I’m ever there again though, I’ll probably buy one). I glanced through a few shelves of assorted house-hold objects and nothing seemed too interesting. But there were cheap dishes, which seem like a great option for a college student or anyone who may be moving around often.



                  Not long after making my way to the men’s clothes I found just the shirt I was looking for. It was like love at first sight and I knew I had to have it. At five dollars, it wasn’t the cheapest shirt I could have found, but it was certainly cheaper than I would have paid in a normal store. And it was one of the ugliest shirts I’d ever seen, which was just what I wanted!



                  I also took a glance at the shoes and was surprised that some of them still had their price tags. The selection wasn’t bad, but if you’re looking for a specific size (which I guess everyone is!) then you might have a hard time finding something appealing to you. But there were definitely a few cute pairs.

                  Last, I entered the small room full of books. There were quite a lot, but they were not organized in a way that allowed me to locate a section of books that I would be interested in. Ultimately, I only saw one book that even looked interesting enough for me to pick up.

                  Overall, I had a good first thrift store experience. I will definitely be less hesitant in the future!

What I Learned:
Go In With A Plan: Know what you’re looking for and how much you’re willing to spend. If you just want to shop around at least set yourself a limit.
Patience is Key: It may be more difficult to locate quality pieces, but if you look hard enough you’ll probably find something you will love.
 Inspect items carefully: After I got my shirt home I realized that pieces of the fabric are dangling off the shirt, which I don’t care about because I want it to look ugly, but you’d definitely want to check before you buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment