Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Second Hand Story: Quest for the Holy Grail


Until very recently, my opinion of tea has been that it's the equivalent of drinking hot water with a couple leaves in it.  If I'm going to drink any hot beverage, then it might as well be something with actual flavor in it.  But much like my love for curry and bell peppers, my interest in tea was abrupt and completely out of nowhere.

And so now I have taken part in a noble quest.  It is the quest for my own personal mug.  A mug that I will not allow anyone to drink from.  And the best place to look for really weird mugs is at a thrift store.




If you've seen my post about Shelter Thrift, you'll know that I really, really like fancy tea sets and cup displays.  Here's one I didn't show before


Yes, these mugs look clean and charming, but not exactly the uniqueness I'm looking for.  Maybe I want a novelty mug with some catchy phrase on it.  Or a terrible pun.


These cups fall more into the category of coffee cups, which is not what I'm after.  But they look quite proper don't they?  Sitting in their saucers, over a framed picture of daffodils or something.


Here is a great assortment of mugs with various floral patterns.  The one on the bottom right says "I'm so glad you found me!" which makes me feel happy to be appreciated, but the blue koala (or whatever) hanging on the edge seems more annoying than adorable.  I have enough difficulty drinking from cups as it is.  

Here is an example of how not to personalize your mug:


Basically, don't put a picture of your face on the bottom of it.


And so, the quest continues.  Who knows what kind of interesting, terrifying drinking vessels I'll come across in this hunt for the perfect cup?  Maybe I'll find a giant golden goblet and drink tea like a king.

Have you found the perfect mug?  Please feel free to post pictures/comments and discuss the continuous need for specialized cups.  Or monogrammed anything.  Like why people have keychains and license plates and keychains of license plates with their names on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment