Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Pros and Cons of Online Shopping, Thrift Stores and Retail Shopping


There are a lot of different ways to shop nowadays, each with their own drawbacks and benefits.  Between online, retail and thrifting, which do you think is the best?  

There are arguments for each one, but because I'm biased toward thrifting, I'd like to persuade you to give second hand shopping a try if you haven't already.

So what's wrong with online and retail shopping?




For online shopping...

1.  Reliability

I'm one of those people who is skeptical about anything bought over the Internet.  Every time I enter in my credit card information, I cringe and say a prayer to myself.  But I've been unlucky with online shopping.  Sometimes I buy an item used and it arrives in the mail broken.  The worst was when I bought a refurbished iPod only to discover the hold button didn't work.  And the next time it was sent back, the click wheel didn't work.  And what I really don't get is how people buy clothes.  You can't try them on.  How will you know if they fit?

2.  Shipping

You know there's something wrong when you buy something online and the shipping costs more than the product itself.  That happened to me when I bought a magazine that had to be shipped overseas and shipping was 12 dollars.  I know, I could've just not gotten it, but when it's an issue with giant, glossy pictures of my favorite boyband member, how can I resist?  Of course there's wonderful things like Amazon Prime, where some things arrive on your doorstep within a matter of days, but you have to pay for it.  And my student free trial expired so now I'm piggy backing off my brother's account.

3.  Delivery Speed

There's a scene in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World where Scott orders something online from amazon and immediately goes to sit in front of the door to wait.  Half of the pain of online shopping is waiting.  And not knowing when your package will arrive consumes your thoughts to the point that you obsessively check the tracking number every day.  Just me?  Well I'm anxiously awaiting a book shipping from the UK so the next 4-20 business days are going to be a blast.




Retail shopping...

1.  Ethics

This might not be a huge issue for some stores, but when you have to stock the shelves with a bunch of products every day, it's not surprising that the retail shops use some shady methods.  Forever 21 instantly comes to mind.  There was scandal a couple years ago where they were accused of using sweatshops and underpaid workers to make their clothes.  Cheaply sold, cheaply made.  And don't even get me started on stealing artist's work and printing them on their t-shirts.



2.  Cost

And sometimes things aren't cheap at all.  I seriously don't understand why stores are so expensive.  Shirts are barely made out of any material at all.  And the see-through stuff made from doilies or lace or whatever cost more?  You have to buy another shirt just to wear that one!  I don't understand fashion.

3.  Customer Service

You'd think customer service would be a bonus for retail shoppers.  But honestly, how often do you come across a rude person in a store?  Or, like my mom, end up wandering the vast and endless aisles in Wal-Mart looking for a person in a blue vest to tell you where the ant spray is.  I can see why people would choose online shopping if it means not having to leave your house and wait in a really long line.



So, what's so great about thrift stores?

1.  It's cheap!

Thrifting is the most cost effective, legal thing you can do.  (Stealing, for example, is cost effective because it's free, but there are laws against it)  Where else can you get a book for 50 cents or perfectly good cutlery for a dollar?  And then there's the adrenaline rush when you find something that's cheap and then find out how much it's supposed to be worth.  It's one of the best feelings in the world.

2.  It's unique!

I walk around with the constant fear of seeing something wearing the same thing as me.  It's happened before.  Especially when they're taller, skinnier and wear it better than you.  But when you go thrifting, no one else will probably have the same thing because there's only one (maybe a few more) of everything!  Vintage is back in style.  So the only people who would wear what you're wearing are either old or dead.

3.  It's for a good cause!

Can you tell by the amount of exclamation marks that I'm really excited about this?  A lot of the times the proceeds of thrift stores go to good causes.  Whether it's Goodwill or an animal shelter, the things you buy will help someone in need.

And there you have it, all the reasons why you should give thrifting a chance.  It might be hard to get over the fact that yes, people have owned that thing before you, but give it a good wash or a scrub with a wipe and it's good as new.  You just have to be careful.

Of course I support the other two types of shopping as well.  I've bought things online and been very happy with them, and still frequent retail stores.

Do you prefer one type of shopping over the other?  Have a bad experience with online shopping like me (or worse?)  Want to complain about today's fashion and why clothes with less material cost more?
Leave a comment below and discuss!

1 comment:

  1. I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. w3onlineshopping

    ReplyDelete